CIDS is proud to publish CIDS Report nr. 1/2020, report “A Study on Legal Formalism in the Former Yugoslavia and its Successor States”.
The aim of this paper is to investigate the phenomenon of legal formalism in the former Yugoslavia and its successor states. The report is primary focusing on answering a number of questions:
- first and foremost, what is legal formalism?
- what are its historical roots in former Yugoslavia and its successor states?
- how did this phenomenon survived the regime changes in the Balkans?
- how does this approach influence today’s interpretation of law?
- in what way has the education system and legal scholars responded to the challenges of legal formalism?
Finally, prospects of overcoming legal formalism is discussed.
You can find the report on the CIDS Publications page.